Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Now that I finished my rants...

Sorry for the rants in the previous blog, but I just had to put it out there. Now that those singleton rants are out of the way, I can move on...hahahaha

It’s January, the month of “New You” articles (Why didn't my friends tell me there was something wrong with the old me?!). January media loves to tell us how to lose weight, stick to our New Year’s Resolutions, get organized, and make more time; but the one thing that always gives me a good laugh are the increasing articles giving single people out there Tips to finding “The One”


In fact, I just read an article that gave “the Top 10 strategies for finding a guy in 2010.” Thank you writer, because I was wondering why 2009 didn’t work out for me.

Here I am, approaching 30 and *gasp* still single (although I was recently told that I should start to worry after 30, so I have about 7 more months...hahahaha).

No, this isn’t a rant about why I can’t find a guy. I meet all sorts of people all of the time (obviously). My question is, why are we so obsessed with relationships? Seriously...whether it's getting a man, keeping a man, or making your man happier than ever, every magazine out there has some sort of "Dating Advice"  What’s wrong with being single?

While I would love to meet someone special, the truth is, I'd rather be single than settle for anyone. Unlike my teen years and early 20s, I really don’t mind being single most days. I know I speak heresy down south, but I’m educated, make my own salary, and have some amazing friends (both male and female), so why settle for someone for the sake of being in a relationship?

Granted, once we graduate high school it becomes increasingly difficult to meet people with similar interests that are appealing to you, but, if you’re putting yourself out there in any way and are open to experiences and people who enter your life, then you’re doing as much as you can.


Single people don’t have endless amounts of free time, but we also don’t have tons of juicy dating information to share with our non-single friends. Sorry to disappoint, but our lives are just as boring as all of those "in relationships."


I don't understand why pop culture and modern media consistently pressures single people o become “less single” rather than becoming “more complete.” How about printing articles about making a difference, loving the person you are, and helping to inspire each other to change the world?


In my opinion, you should be looking for someone who compliments you, not completes you. No relationship will ever be successful if you are looking for someone to complete you. Only you can complete you.


*side note: Hats off to all you brave people out there. To all readers, no matter what your relationship status is, you're brave because every day you get up and put yourself out there in this crazy world*

3 comments:

  1. I hear you .. Z .. and I agree on all your points ... You go girl .. keep them coming .. you should post your "rants" in the magz .. Z .. you're missing your calling .. at least I think so ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy shit! I JUST said something similar in your last posting. Weird that I read this and was thinking the same thing. Who cares? You know those damn magazine articles were written by women who went to college looking for their M.R.S. degree. I mean, seriously? It's like teaching and nursing. Everyone just wants to have babies and get married (not in that order). Tell me why I chose to go into another pink collar profession? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's probably the media that pushes this because society expects it. Bucking society is not a problem in my book. I guess I'm still brain washed because I want kids and the married life at some point. I like the rants Z, keep um coming.

    ReplyDelete