Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Valentine's Day is for...lovers?

I think that all Valentine’s Days should be on Sunday…ok, stop rolling your eyes and hear me out.


This year, Valentine’s Day fell on a Sunday. I LOVED it. As a single person, there was no pressure to go out and do something. I spent Valentine’s Day catching up on sleep and went to mass in the evening. I didn’t have a Valentine, although I think I’ve only had one Valentine, and that was a gay boyfriend in college (figures).

For those who did have a significant other to celebrate with, Sundays are usually a relaxed day. You can celebrate Saturday night, Sunday with Brunch, meals, movies, etc. I think the general laid back vibe of Sundays takes the pressure off of the perfect gift and puts the focus on where it should be by providing the opportunity to slow down with the ones you love.

In fact, this year, some of the best things about Valentine’s Day were the phone calls/texts I received…especially the Valentine’s Day Song from one of my closets friends. I felt special, not because of a guy, but because I knew I was and felt that I was loved.

I don’t think this is a jaded girl ranting about Valentine’s day as much as the fact that we need to take the opportunity to get to the root of the day…a day for those in love to express their love for each other with small sentimental tokens of your love rather than jewelry, crazy lingerie, or any other ridiculous items.

For those singletons out there, remember that you may be single, but you’re definitely NOT alone...

Until the next post!

2 comments:

  1. You liked my silly song! I'm so happy. I <3 you Valentine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post. You ARE so loved, Z! And I agree, VDay on Sunday does take some pressure off. There's so much stupid pressure on Valentine's Day whatever your relationship status is!

    ReplyDelete